Saturday, December 20, 2008

How do I feel about domestic cars?

That’s a fair question, and it’s one that I think I should answer on this blog so you can understand if there is any bias that I have that you should know about. I work really hard to remain unbiased when I advise you, and I’ve had a lot of training as an attorney in advancing positions impartially. I consider it an ethical duty.


But I’m also going to tell you how it is. And the domestic manufacturers, for the most part, haven’t been putting the best cars on the road for a long time now. Does that mean if you are asking for a super-duty truck, I’m going to steer you away from a domestic? No, of course not. The domestics make the best light trucks in the industry. That’s a fact. Do they make the best mid-sized FWD sedan? No, but that doesn’t mean that I’ll always tell you to get an Accord or Camry. The Saturn Aura and Chevy Malibu are really great cars, they are just up against some really insane competition. Do you want to buy a car without negotiating, from an American company? Well then the Saturn is definitely your car, and I’d love to tell you to get one.


People have lots of reasons behind their purchase preferences. I respect all of them, and as a professional consultant, your preferences become MY preferences. Of course, as an advisor with strong ethics, I will disclose any information that I think you should know in making a decision. That’s a lot different than imposing my will on clients.


My philosophy is, I tell you about both sides of the coin, empowering you to make a better decision. I want you to be happy with your car. For many folks, buying a car is a little like getting a new pet. You’ll be spending a lot of time with it, it needs attention, and it will live for a long time. You can settle for something that’s ok but is more of an appliance, like the dishwasher, or you can get something you’re proud of. Usually the latter is the better option. But you tell me. It’s going to be your car, you can get something boring if you want!


So the bottom line is that I’m going to recommend the best car for the job, but the “job” is going to be your “job,” not mine.

0 Responses: